The Cupid that is iconic Candies in Oak Lawn, a landmark on Chicago’s Southern Side, will shut after 64 wonderful years on Sunday, Sept. 27.
By Lorraine Swanson , Patch Staff
OAK LAWN, IL вЂ” Say it ain’t therefore! Cupid sweets will shut after 64 years on 95th Street in Oak Lawn. One of many final regarding the iconic old-line candy shops in the Southern Side, Cupid Candies, 4709 95th St., will shut its doorways on Sunday.
Cupid Candies had been established in 1936 because of the Paul that is late Stefanos. Their cousin, Leo, would carry on to invent the Dove bar. The store that is first at 79th Street and Ashland Avenue in the Southern Side, where just fudge, toffee and popcorn were offered. By 1940, Paul and their wife, Pauline, launched another shop at 3207 W. 63rd St., along side a tiny manufacturer, in accordance with the business’s web site.
The household proceeded to cultivate Cupid Candies, transferring 1943 to 3143 W. 63rd St. in Chicago.
The organization expanded once more in 1956 by having a new plant at 7637 S. Western Ave., where in fact the candy factory nevertheless runs today.
The family-owned and operated Cupid Candies produced quality chocolates, pea pea nuts, sweets and ice cream from the factory on Western Avenue in Gresham. The late creator’s son, John Stefanos, could be the business president.
Visiting the Oak Lawn shop on Thursday afternoon, the racks remained well stocked with the hand-dipped, classic candy lines, such as for example Turks вЂ” sharp pecans and soft caramel groups dipped in milk chocolate вЂ” so called since the title Turtles had been trademarked, and cream and butter fudge made daily. It had been scarcely the “everything must get” liquidation scavenging we have grown used to.
Under glass had been rows of chocolate ointments of most varieties, chewy centers, nut groups and confections, each featuring its very own distinctive swirl on top. In the frozen dessert parlor, an employee had been starting containers of big, red strawberries.
Since 1956, the Oak Lawn Cupid Candies вЂ” using its traditional frozen dessert parlor and soda water water fountain вЂ” ended up being in which you stopped by to select up a field of Turks to bring to your North Side family relations on xmas, or enjoyed a sundae and a malted after a film during the Coral Theatre.
The Orland Park shop, at 9420 W. 143rd St., will stay available, because will the Cupid sweets factory on Western Avenue into the Southern Side Gresham neighborhood.
Stephanie Hart, the property owner and discovered of Brown glucose Bakery in Chicago, bought out of the historic 84-year-old candy factory on Western Avenue in June. Her Brown glucose bakery is really a popular destination for Black meals tradition within the town.
Hearing that John Stefanos ended up being searching for a customer, Hart bought the candies that are cupid for $500,000, utilizing a grant she received through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic chance, BlackBusiness com reported.
Hart also acquired the legal rights to Cupid Candies’ brand and items. Plans are to mix the 2 brands together.
Relating to BlackBusiness com, the 20-plus workers for the candy business will always be on to make all of the ice cream and chocolate items of Cupid Candies and cakes of Brown Sugar Bakery.
While not since cool as relaxing all over soft drink fountain on a summer that is hot, fans will be in a position to purchase a common Cupid Candies online. The Cupid sweets tradition will stay with regards to initial secret household recipes, designed to use just the best, premium ingredients.
If you wish to have sundae for supper or get that Christmas time package of Turks, Cupid Candies would be open from noon to 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 25 to Sept. 27.
MODIFICATION: the organization reached off to Patch to allow us realize that the Orland Park shop at 9420 W. St that is 143rd stay available. Nice thing about it.